What God has in store for me in 2010...

"When you come looking for me, you’ll find me. Yes, when you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I’ll make sure you won’t be disappointed. God’s Decree." Jeremiah 29:13-14 (The Message)

I love my life. I love the story God has written for me so far; He is the most creative Author I know. I do not desire to write my own life story. I desire something more extraordinary than what I could ever imagine for myself. In 2010, I want to be more strategic about creating "space" for God to move...and allow Him to make this year more extraordinary than ever before. Lord, this is Your blank canvas; this is Your blank journal. I am only a tool that records Your masterpiece. Do what You do best...produce something extraordinary from this ordinary child. I wait expectantly, with my typing fingers in position :)

Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Life Worthy of His Call

2 Thessalonians 1:11-12 (New Living Translation): So we keep on praying for you, asking our God to enable you to live a life worthy of his call. May he give you the power to accomplish all the good things your faith prompts you to do. Then the name of our Lord Jesus will be honored because of the way you live, and you will be honored along with him. This is all made possible because of the grace of our God and Lord, Jesus Christ.
I'm having a really hard time summarizing what I experienced at Shine (which is the annual women's conference hosted by our church). This year's experience was like no other, and it's been difficult to find words to describe it (although my husband may beg to differ; I've been talking about it to him non-stop).  I wrote an entire post about it, but I ended up deleting it.  It didn't "click" with what I really wanted to say. Then this morning as I was reading my Bible, I came across the passage above.  It summarized for me perfectly the "treasure" I came out of the conference with: A treasure-chest full of challenge, motivation, confidence, and courage.  When I first began this blog, I mentioned that God is calling me to increase my boldness.  Courage was the main theme of this year's conference.  I know that was not a coincidence.
The speakers were amazing.  They challenged us to wake up and open our eyes to what's going on around us.  We are in midst of a broken and hurting world; God wants to use us to reach out and help.  They motivated us to not stay within our comfortable lifestyle - that is not the ultimate destiny for our lives. We must trust and follow God...wherever He leads us.  They imparted us with confidence that we can be all that God called us to be.  This "calling" goes way beyond our temporal issues or our immediate surroundings. It's not about having a "local" Christianity: a nice home with 2.5 kids and going to church every week, talking the Christian talk and busying ourselves with church activities. They may be good things, but we are called for so much more than that. We are called to do great things for God. We are called to be a light in the darkness.  We are called to make a difference in this world.  Finally, they imparted us with courage that we can lead a life worthy of this calling.
I came out of it ready to conquer the world!  But wait...I'm still me, a wife and a stay-at-home mommy to two little girls.  How can I apply what I learned practically in my everyday life? God still wants me to be diligent in the post He assigned me to: Seek God first daily, be the best wife and mom I can be, be a loyal friend, stay involved in the ministries of my church, and share Christ's love in the daily realms I encounter (such as in my classroom or with extended families/friends). But I've also been challenged to go beyond my usual realms.  I want to do more to reach out to this broken world, starting with my city/community. A thought popped into my head that perhaps I can visit convalescent or retirement homes with the girls.  What a blessing their presence will be to the people there, and what better way to introduce my girls to the cause of Christ we are committed to as a family.
After Shine, there also was a shift in my attitude of what our future is "supposed" to be like. I no longer picture a comfortable, risk-free life that's all planned out.  That used to be my dream.  I figured, we have our two girls now, we'll adopt two more (a desire God placed in our hearts a few years ago), we'll eventually buy a bigger car & house, we'll continue to have a great marriage, our children will be well-behaved, and there...everyone is happy.  While they are not bad things to hope for, I now know that God has so much more in store for my life.  It's not about what I want. What I want is so limited, temporal, and predictable.  What God has for me is limitless, eternal, and totally unpredictable.  THAT's the extraordinary adventure I want!
After we had our most recent baby, I began to scare my husband by saying I may want to birth another "baby" before we adopt.  I then went to the Shine conference, and God confirmed my desire to adopt.  I sent my hubby this text: "You can relax now, God gave me another confirmation that we're supposed to adopt." His reply: "I was never worried. God may give us confirmation to birth the next Billy Graham in 5 years. Who are we to question Him?" He already was on the same page, and he didn't even attend the conference!  Who are we to know what the best plan for our lives is? Who are we to question what God brings our way? God's plans, unlike ours, are not based on emotions or temporal hypes or limited mindsets.  At this point, we have no idea how many children God has in store for us (through my womb or someone else's).  I don't know yet the details of how I will be able to make a difference in this world...this week, this month, this year, and beyond.  Nevertheless, my response to God is same as that of Isaiah, "Here am I. Send me."  Everyday, God, show me, prompt me, lead me, use me...wherever You can, in whatever capacity You choose. I want to live a life worthy of Your calling.

1 comment:

  1. great post, Maria! wish i could have experienced shine this year!

    ReplyDelete