What God has in store for me in 2010...

"When you come looking for me, you’ll find me. Yes, when you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I’ll make sure you won’t be disappointed. God’s Decree." Jeremiah 29:13-14 (The Message)

I love my life. I love the story God has written for me so far; He is the most creative Author I know. I do not desire to write my own life story. I desire something more extraordinary than what I could ever imagine for myself. In 2010, I want to be more strategic about creating "space" for God to move...and allow Him to make this year more extraordinary than ever before. Lord, this is Your blank canvas; this is Your blank journal. I am only a tool that records Your masterpiece. Do what You do best...produce something extraordinary from this ordinary child. I wait expectantly, with my typing fingers in position :)

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Friendship

A few weeks ago two of my closest girlfriends came to visit me.  I met them both during my first week in college, and my life has never been the same since.  My God, my family, and my friends are what I cherish more than anything this world has to offer.  I consider myself one of the richest people on the planet. Not financially by any means, but because of how incredibly blessed I am to call these women my friends. I grew up without a close companion, but things changed during my high school years.  God blessed me with friends who became more like family to me.  I realized for the first time that I was built for this.  I am a very relational person, and I need close, valuable relationships to feel alive.  In college, God blessed me with more lifelong friendships.
We did life together. We laughed all the time.  We cried together, too.  We were there for one another through homesickness, financial difficulties, disgusting cafeteria food, loss of a grandparent, roommate troubles, and much more.  We also "attempted" to study together :)  We grew up together.  Most importantly, we encouraged one another with God's love and wisdom.
Proverbs 27:9 (The Message): Just as lotions and fragrance give sensual delight, a sweet friendship refreshes the soul.  How true this is for me.  Spending time with my friends really refreshes my soul, especially when I'm weary.  Even if I had not seen them in years, there's no "awkward" stage we have to pass through first.  We can completely be ourselves, knowing that we are loved and accepted just the way we are.  We don't have to explain everything, because some things are already understood without words.  When we're with one another, we can relive our childhood and be as silly and goofy as we want.  Simply said, there's so much freedom, safety, a room to breathe, and a warm feeling of being "home."
In addition to the two who recently visited me, I have a few more "forever" friends in California, and God is also building some sweet new friendships for me here in Jacksonville.  If you are one of them and are reading this, I want you to know how I thank God for you often.  You truly have made my life so rich.  I have been encouraged and challenged by you.  I have learned so much from you.  You have shown me how valued I am by God by the way you value me.  Thank you for loving me and believing in me.  Thank you for seeing the good in me, even when I couldn't see it for myself.  Thank you for being there through all these years, sharing in both my joys and my sorrows.  Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your life. I am excited to see how our friendship will continue to flourish and grow. 
No, I cannot imagine going through life without my friends.  My prayer is that all of you, including my daughters, be blessed with this kind of friendship that refreshes your soul.  If you have one, don't forget to thank God for them and to let them know how much they mean to you. 

2 comments:

  1. This is so sweet and so true. Our friends and family are the treasures of our lives. I am so blessed to called one of yours and delighted that God, so many years ago, had a sweet Japanese girl walk into my life!!! Love you from across the miles....Mom T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Maria...I finally had a bit of time to read this and am so glad that I did...it was so heartwarming. I feel the same about you and look forward to days ahead when we can still see where our journey carries us. Thanks for the great chat today...it was so nice to 'see' you again :) I love you my friend and will talk to you later....

    ReplyDelete