What God has in store for me in 2010...

"When you come looking for me, you’ll find me. Yes, when you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I’ll make sure you won’t be disappointed. God’s Decree." Jeremiah 29:13-14 (The Message)

I love my life. I love the story God has written for me so far; He is the most creative Author I know. I do not desire to write my own life story. I desire something more extraordinary than what I could ever imagine for myself. In 2010, I want to be more strategic about creating "space" for God to move...and allow Him to make this year more extraordinary than ever before. Lord, this is Your blank canvas; this is Your blank journal. I am only a tool that records Your masterpiece. Do what You do best...produce something extraordinary from this ordinary child. I wait expectantly, with my typing fingers in position :)

Monday, May 31, 2010

Discover Your Child

This is an article I wrote for our MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) newsletter this month.
As we just kicked off our summer semester with MOPS, I’m excited to see what this new season will bring to us individually and to our group as a whole.  Summer can be a challenging season for some of us.  If you have older children, they may be home more during summer, which means you will have to come up with more creative activities to occupy their time. If you are like me and love to stick with routines, summer season can often mess up our usual schedule, and we find ourselves needing to be more flexible.
Whatever kind of summer we may be facing, I thought it wouldn’t hurt for us to have a simple goal in mind as we begin our summer season with our little ones: DISCOVER YOUR CHILD(REN). Those were the words God brought to my attention as I thought about my summer with my girls.  I looked up the definition of “discover,” and among them were the following: find something or someone unexpectedly or in course of a search, become aware of a fact or situation, be the first to find or observe, be the first to recognize the potential of.  Mothers, can we ask for any higher calling than this? How blessed are we, that we can be the first to recognize the potential of our children.
“And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve (or discover) the things that are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ” (Philippians 1:9-10, italics mine).  I love the Amplified Bible version of this last verse: “So that you may surely learn to sense what is vital, and approve and prize what is excellent and of real value [recognizing the highest and the best].”  When I apply this principle to motherhood, I think of God entrusting us to discover the hidden treasures He placed in our children when He made them.  Not only are we to discover them, but we are to prize or celebrate them.
It’s easy to get busy in the chaos of summer and lose sight of this important task.  But in midst of the chaos, let’s stop and watch: what kind of things really excites your child? What is he passionate about? What are her God-given qualities? What breaks your little one’s heart?  Let us discover these things, and pray for guidance on how we as mothers can celebrate these hidden treasures and polish them for God’s glory.

1 comment:

  1. what a great post! this is something i really needed to read right now. i have found myself getting lost in the day to day activities and not really focusing on Emerson and the little girl she is becoming. Thanks for the reminder. :0) miss you!

    ReplyDelete