What God has in store for me in 2010...

"When you come looking for me, you’ll find me. Yes, when you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I’ll make sure you won’t be disappointed. God’s Decree." Jeremiah 29:13-14 (The Message)

I love my life. I love the story God has written for me so far; He is the most creative Author I know. I do not desire to write my own life story. I desire something more extraordinary than what I could ever imagine for myself. In 2010, I want to be more strategic about creating "space" for God to move...and allow Him to make this year more extraordinary than ever before. Lord, this is Your blank canvas; this is Your blank journal. I am only a tool that records Your masterpiece. Do what You do best...produce something extraordinary from this ordinary child. I wait expectantly, with my typing fingers in position :)

Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Heart of Who I Am

This was another article I wrote for our MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) newsletter this month.
As women, we sometimes struggle with all the different hats we have to put on. We are moms, wives (or if you’re a single mom, you have to be a “dad” also), daughters, friends, employees, etc.  For every person that we encounter, we seem to have to put on a different hat.   We have to remember though, that these are “roles” that God has given us, and none of them alone defines who we are.
Recently my husband and I had an opportunity to discuss our faith with family members who do not share the same faith.  Just the thought of sharing my faith used to scare me.  However, as I explained to the best of my ability who Jesus is to me and why the Bible is so important to me, something inside of me was “unleashed.” I believe it was my heart. The “heart” of who I am was revealed in what I said, and I believe God was smiling at me as if to say, “That’s it! I want you to show more of your heart to everyone around you.”  The truth is, if God really is everything to me, if He’s at the center of who I am, then He will be revealed in my speech and actions, as I unveil more of my heart to everyone around me.  God desires for each of us to be more intentional at doing this, despite whichever hat we’re wearing.
Now we spend a lot of time wearing the “Mom” hat. I’ve been seeking guidance from God on how I can reveal more of my “heart” to my 2-year-old.  One of the ways is that I always make sure I pray with her throughout the day when I need God’s help.  I want her to know that God is my strength.  I also try to explain my heart behind every discipline, even if she may not understand all of what I’m saying.  I don’t want to simply focus on molding her outward behavior; I want her heart to connect with mine…and ultimately with God’s heart.  I say to her, “It’s important to obey Mommy and Daddy, because it will help you to obey God. He loves you and has the best plan for you, and you will receive all the blessings He has for you as you learn to obey Him.”
1 Samuel 16:7 says, “People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” People will naturally see first the “role” that we play.  It will take more effort on our part to reveal the “heart” of who we are.  But if Jesus is at the heart of who we are, too much is at stake to not reveal it.

1 comment:

  1. wow...amazing post! i love the way you communicate with P about obedience. What a great example.
    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete